VA loans are only available to veterans, active members of the military, National Guard, or Reserves, or unmarried surviving spouses of members of the military. Because they are subsidized by the US government, they are the cheapest loans available. Here are some of the reasons why you should always get a VA loan if you qualify for one:
- There is no down payment requirement, meaning you can get 100% financing.
- There is no mortgage insurance requirement, even if you put no money down.
- Interest rates are lower than they are for other types of loans.
- You are not limited to one VA loan in your lifetime.
- VA loans have the shortest waiting periods after bankruptcies, foreclosures, and short sales.